"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free"

Michelangelo



Tuesday, September 6, 2011

State Fair Day 2

Day 2 at the fair was longer and colder.  I tried two new french fries places and came to the conclusion that fries are pretty much good anywhere at the fair.

I got my fave drink: beergarita.  Beer and margarita mix.  So delicious.  A big thing of it for 7 bucks.  Not too bad.  It's the only place I can find it at.

Some beautiful horses

This one was stunning with his or her blue eyes.





This one was just a sweetheart.



And this fella was just a beauty.  He looked like a My Little Pony doll with his long white eyelashes, silky long mane, the feathers on his foot, and his charming attitude.  




Our next stop was the Birds of Prey show.  I enjoy it every year and though the message is the same, not all the same birds make an appearance.  This year, there were no bald eagles, but there was a vulture.







My fave owl: the Screech Owl.  It is so cute!  And very small!   




This wolf's paw is big!


My work friends discovered this place at the fair.  Now, we never really go into this area.  I didn't even know it was there.  But we found a taxidermy place.  It was pretty weird and creepy in a way.  They had random scraps of fur laying around, turtle shells, bones, dead animals made into hats, and many other things.  They had a huge tub of rabbit's foot.  I remember those....from the 80's!  i don't think people buy those anymore.  Certainly never brought me any luck!

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't judge, and I did not take photos of these stuffed creatures because I think they look cool.  I think stuffed animals on walls are just weird and sort of wasteful really.  




Uh, there is something really weird about stuffed parrots too.  And they were not cheap.  I had to be careful with the Cherry Headed Conure on the bottom as he was about to break and I was not going to pay over a hundred dollars for him.  I wonder who these birds used to belong to.  I would never do this with my pets.  




We then headed to The Butterfly House for I needed to see some life and beauty after this place.  To be honest, that was a bad idea.  I will never go there again to support it.  The place was filled with all sorts of kids, good and naughty, loud and quiet.  It was also full of butterflies, alive, barely alive, and dead.  It was just sad really.  I had to save some before they got squashed.  I put the dying ones in places where they wouldn't be bothered though there was no such place.  The staff were just a bunch of teens who didn't know anything.  No staff was walking around showing some of the naughtier kids how to behave and adults too.  So much for rule no. 1: No touching wings.  What do I see when I get in there?  A woman grabbing butterflies by the wings.  Nice.  Not.

What could have been a great and wonderful experience in the end was just really sad for the butterflies.  Some kids were great and didn't touch the wings and were just caring and tender whereas one boy jumped on one and squashed it to bits.  You'd think some parents would teach their kids about respecting life a bit better.





 This one I found crawling the floor.  Poor thing had no wings left.  I put it by the rotting bananas and pineapples where there also a lot of dead butterflies.  Some lady thanked me for putting it in a safer spot, but come on woman, it was by your feet, not mine.  











my boyfriend covered in butterflies.  They loved him.  Probably because he wasn't chasing them. 



This one was on the floor on its' back forever.  I finally picked it up cuz I thought it was dead.  It was dying for sure.  I just tried to make its' last moments more comfortable though after we left, I'm sure some kid picked it up. 

:(  need I say more?


I'm telling you I have a weakness for goats.  I spent about 20 minutes petting this sweetheart.  She or he was the nicest, gentle, sweet being ever.  It loved being petted and would look into my eyes as if speaking to me.  I fell in love with it.  If I had a farm (a hobby farm to be exact), I'd so buy this guy and take him/her home with me.  After playing with it, I looked up and saw the sign "Meat Goat"  AHHH!!!!  WHAT!??!!!  My new sweet friend is for meat only?  It broke my heart.  I almost starting crying.  I couldn't just leave him or her.  I spent as much time as I could talking and petting it until my boyfriend called me to hurry up out of the barn house.  I'm never gonna forget this cutie pie.  I understand we all eat animals, but I don't eat goat, I know some folks do, but I don't.  Plus you can't meet your dinner before eating it.  It made think though about how awesome this goat is and how sad it's only seen as a piece of meat without anyone really knowing just wonderful s/he is as a creature.  Def not eating meat for awhile.  






No comments:

Post a Comment